>> Saturday, August 29, 2015
The other day, as I walked down to our clinic kitchen to get my lunch, I was greeted by mouthwatering aromas of Mexican spices filling the air... I turned the corner to find my dear friend and coworker Chantelle heating up her delightful lunch that she had brought from home. She graciously packed a lunch for me at work the next day, and it tasted even better than it smelled... this recipe needs to be shared!!
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can of tomatoes (796 mL size)
- 1 can of corn (341 mL size)
- 1 can black beans (540 mL size)
- 1 package of low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- And a little bit of love
DIRECTIONS: (slow cookers are so easy! :)
1. Throw all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
2. Shred the chicken in the mixture and leave it on low for another hour or two – just to get the flavor all the way through the chicken.
This dish can be enjoyed as is or in a taco, but my favorite option is to put it over a mixed green salad! This adds lots of FreeVeg to the meal. If you put it over a salad or in a taco, drain fluid first.
Makes 10 servings. Per serving:
- calories: 183
- carbs: 20g
- fat: 2g
- protein: 19g
Thanks so much to my dear friend Chantelle, and her friend Amy, for the delicious recipe!
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen
www.drsue.ca © 2015