>> Sunday, July 19, 2015
While pizza is a favorite food around the world, it unfortunately usually comes with a mega dose of calories. A thick crust, piled high with fatty meats and oozing with cheese all contribute to the final count. In addition to choosing healthier meats (eg chicken breast) and enjoying a thinner layer of cheese, have you ever considered switching up the crust altogether? Here's a great recipe for a gluten free pizza crust that is not made with flour, but with cauli'flour' instead!
There are lots of cauliflower crust recipes online - this one is derived from allrecipes.com, but I switched up the cheeses and upped the spice content for better flavor. One slice of this pizza crust has only 67 calories - compare this to a standard pizza crust slice which comes in around 180 calories!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (from a block of parmesan), shredded
- 1/4 cup part skim mozza cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until all cauliflower is shredded.
2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauli, cover, and steam until tender (around 15 mins). Put cauliflower into a bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cooled (about 15 mins).
3. Preheat oven to 450F (230C), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Add remaining ingredients to the cauliflower and stir until blended. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and form into shape of a pizza crust.
5. Bake until lightly browned (about 15 mins).
Makes 6 servings.
NUTRITION PER SERVING:
- calories: 67
- fat: 3.6g
- carb: 3g
- protein: 5.8g
Thanks to Leah for the recipe idea!
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen
www.drsue.ca © 2015