>> Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Here's a delicious Mexican-inspired recipe, with thanks to Pamela Salzman - I've modified the recipe to keep the calories low but the taste factor high!
1 pound halibut fillets
8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed either on grill or heated griddle pan until pliable
1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- 3 Tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 7 Tablespoons plain light unsweetened greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Veggie filling for tacos: as you wish-
- shredded napa cabbage
- red onion
1. Whisk together ingredients for white sauce, and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Mix dry rub spices together and sprinkle on both sides of the fish.
3. Preheat grill to medium-hot. Brush grate grill very lightly with oil, minimum necessary to prevent sticking. Grill fish until fish is just cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side.
4. Remove fish from grill and break into pieces.
Makes 8 soft shell tacos!
NUTRITIONAL INFO: I have calculated the nutritional info here to include the fish, the soft shell taco, the dry rub, and the white sauce. The number of calories, carbs etc in the veggies and salsa that you decide to include is going to depend on how much and what kinds you choose. However, the calories in these veggies is almost negligible. Salsa can vary, and I'd suggest going easy on salsa because it is very high in salt (ever wonder if you eat too much salt in a day - calculate your intake here).
It's also extremely difficult to estimate how much of the oil brushed on the grill absorbs into the fish - one of the limitations of using oil to create a non stick surface. As it's almost impossible to estimate, I have not included the oil used to brush the grill in my calculations. If you bake your fish in the oven instead, you can use a bit of non stick cooking spray on tin foil and avoid this problem.
Per taco: (approximate, including fish, dry rub, soft taco, and white sauce)
CARBS: 13 g
PROTEIN: 17.5 g
FAT: 4.6 g
Dr Sue Pedersen www.drsue.ca © 2013
Follow me on Twitter for daily tips! @drsuepedersen